Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Join our Discord
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japan

Hybrid View

I dont think Nanking should be erased from the books because 1-we should honor the victims. and 2-those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. but sadly most seem to use it to hold hard feelings.
    badass nun......what more can you want?

Hikkikomori faces of despair
    I am very disappointed by the bias of some members here... I guess some egos are too big to change their opinions. I thank Solo for giving a strong argument in favor of the undeniably horrifying event in history that was the Rape of Nanking.

We all know racism can be found anywhere. We all should know that Japan is a country with very small population of foreign citizens living there. Their history shows to be a very strict culture that is still seen by their industry and education. We all know that is a human nature to fear or be suspicious of the unknown. When a person has very little contact with foreigners, they have no proper schema to follow and dont know how to act properly with them. Japan is a WHOLE CULTURE that has in the most part been isolated from foreign contact and if you get weird looks is because they can't think of a better reaction.

A great example of this is to see a Muslim woman walking in traditional Muslim attire walking around the mall. Would you dare not to stare? Would a common schema created by the media or other influences fall in your brain automatically? Would you treat her like any other American?

If you feel any of those feelings or react a similar way then you are basically like a Japanese staring at a foreigner. However, if you show hospitality then such schema will be changed into a more possitive one and thats what we should all do.
    "So a baby seal walks into a club..." Anonymous person making a very depressing joke.

Oh yeah, we got custom user titles. Mr.Anderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
    Would you treat her like any other American?
    ((Warning, non-contributional post below))

Erh, no. Because I don't treat people as any other American. I treat people as other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
    ((Warning, non-contributional post below))

Erh, no. Because I don't treat people as any other American. I treat people as other people.
    whilst amonst peers and to one self one would claim the higher ground weither or not true as to not have to deal with the unpleasent thought of being a negative.

*walks out of room*

KC
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

japan is my home kawaii desu ne.

imma samuraiiiiiiiiii.

Konnichiwa, bitches.

Blog Entries
    This isn't the poc mr kc , don't post like that again or we'll have to do stuff to you, etc , You're warned, etc

KC
    I was hoping to jump start this thread back to life.

zzz japan just wouldn't work.

Blog Entries
    Well, that other post didn't work either

You may call me "My Lord" Your God's Avatar
    Wow, today's the anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre.

71 years.
    Vestri Pygaum Nobis.

*Looks through the thread* Old thread is obviously old, but still.

I still find it funny that with all of the atrocities commited throughout history, America still feels buttraeped over a pair of towers XD

USA, Japan, USA, Japan. Both are pretty awful if you ask me. *Shrugs*
    ◕ ‿‿ ◕

Blog Entries
    Well i'm going to Japan in april.
    Really looking forward to it!
    Japan is supposed to be one of the most safe and gentle countries in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Katajainen View Post
    It was your evil twin brother Keisuke who plotted for the Nohidolution! Not you!

Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries
    If you believe that, I know of a bridge sitting on the East River you can get dirt cheap, Yon .

Technically, nowhere is ever really safe. If anything, the attacks around the world in crowded locales should constantly remind us all of that sad fact.

"Pantsu. That is all."

Blog Entries
    I know that there is no such thing as totally safe.
    I said one of the safest places

Quote Originally Posted by Katajainen View Post
    It was your evil twin brother Keisuke who plotted for the Nohidolution! Not you!

KC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohido Keisuke View Post
    I know that there is no such thing as totally safe.
    I said one of the safest places
    and while you buy that bridge, come work with me in washington heights

Padawan Erogamer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    and while you buy that bridge, come work with me in washington heights

Affordable housing is at a premium there these days too. Introduce him to someone who you know.

I'd also like to see the country (Japan) with my own eyes, but that may never materialize. So, I'll have to be content with living vicariously through others' experiences.

"Pantsu. That is all."

It's 3:00 am, and I'm drunk, soooo....rant. Still drunk enough to type straight, not enough to be coherent. And very tired. Falling asleep now....

/beginrant

I have mixed feelings about Japan. While I like the Buddhist philosophy, and the fact that it makes Anime, it also has a history of being downright stupid. I can think of few other cultures who interpret honor as a justification for suicide. Possibly the Mormons.

Anywho, let's turn our attention to the events of World War II, and the rape of Nanking. Or better yet, let's turn our attention to the Holocaust. Or the Purges in Russia. Or go back even further, the 20 million dead Native Americans under the Spanish. The enslavement of African Americans for hundreds of years. The seizure of American-Indian land. Further back still? Vlad the Impaler, 20,000 men on a pike in one day, thousands more over his lifetime as ruler. The oppression of the peasants and the majority of the population for so long the death count caused by their poverty is too vast for me to calculate.

Still further back, Israel's march through that area of the mediterranean, where they were told to massacre all those who stood in their way. Good god, take any battle and any conquering force in Ancient History, and you've got yourself a tragedy somewhere in there.

Besides having a lovely long list of events, this post has a point. What happened at Nanking was horrifying, yes. What happened in the Holocaust is horrifying, yes. But this doesn't make them tragedies, and it certainly doesn't make them something special that we should be celebrating with some sort of annversary announcement. How many people here were at the Rape of Nanking, the Holocaust, the Great Purges, the countless other massacres I listed? Anybody? No? Good. Then be quiet about it.

What's so difficult for us to understand? The Human Race isn't any different in any other region. If you wanted to, you could find worse massacres in any country in the world, with maybe the exception being Zimbabwe, because it's Zimbabwe. We're a species that specializes in killing ourselves, and we're very good at it. We're also very good at dealing with whatever psychological trauma SHOULD follow. We ignore it, call it a tragedy, and move on. We're a society bred for war, and when war happens, horrifying events aren't that far away.

It sort of adds a bit of fleshed out reasoning to Tyroki's ideas, doesn't it? It's not just USA and Japan, but the whole world. The whole world sucks, and it's going to keep sucking long after we're dead, because people are stupid. I hate to say it, but god it fits so welll.....People are phony. Can anybody ever really say to a survivor of the Holocaust "My god, I know exactly how you feel." No. We don't know what we feel ourselves, how do we expect to seriously help others? We can't!

So please, stop treating the events of history as anything other than what they are. They are events, dots on a timeline, nothing more, nothing less. They happened, we study them, and we learn from then. But we do not put them on a pedastel and call it a horrifying, shocking massacre. We call it a historical event.

/endrant
    Knowledge is power. The Power to make everyone else feel like an idiot.

I have to admit though, KC does have, to an extent, some vague, understandable point

It is starting to become a very common phenomena, that of love for everything Japan and its culture, but his main point here, I assume, is that through one's intense love of Japan, one loses his own cultural norms and develops xenocentrism. One cannot deny the effect of Japanese culture on many of our dear forumers on this site.

But the fact remains is that one should cherish their own culture. Speaking in Japanese is pointless if you're not in Japan. It merely brings about confusion not only to yourselves, but to those around you. Sure, you can love anime and still love your own culture. That doesn't make any culture superior to your own.

Like Tyroki and Nani pointed out, the whole world sucks! So why even bother praising a culture that you barely even know anything about? Why learn their language when it does not benefit you in the long run?

So go, play japanese video games, watch anime. But never forget your own culture. Accepting yourself is really the first step to being accepted by others

KC
    Quote Originally Posted by ☼Pepe☼ View Post
    I have to admit though, KC does have, to an extent, some vague, understandable point

It is starting to become a very common phenomena, that of love for everything Japan and its culture, but his main point here, I assume, is that through one's intense love of Japan, one loses his own cultural norms and develops xenocentrism. One cannot deny the effect of Japanese culture on many of our dear forumers on this site.

But the fact remains is that one should cherish their own culture. Speaking in Japanese is pointless if you're not in Japan. It merely brings about confusion not only to yourselves, but to those around you. Sure, you can love anime and still love your own culture. That doesn't make any culture superior to your own.

Like Tyroki and Nani pointed out, the whole world sucks! So why even bother praising a culture that you barely even know anything about? Why learn their language when it does not benefit you in the long run?

So go, play japanese video games, watch anime. But never forget your own culture. Accepting yourself is really the first step to being accepted by others
    *clap clap clap*

Truly a work of art. I agree .

Aniki is my King
    Quote Originally Posted by ☼Pepe☼ View Post
    But never forget your own culture. Accepting yourself is really the first step to being accepted by others
    So i should do like the other people in my neighborhood my age and beat up small kids, wear tracksuits and hoodies, and spit in peoples eyes for no reason and laugh about it? @_@

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Fox View Post
    So i should do like the other people in my neighborhood my age and beat up small kids, wear tracksuits and hoodies, and spit in peoples eyes for no reason and laugh about it? @_@
    Neither should you commit suicide for doing bad in school

I said accept your own culture... I assumed not being an idiot was a given factor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information